Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Hi...... I need some life advice please!?

I work at a spa as a technician. My job does not offer health care benefits... or any benefits at all. I see a dermatologist regularly for skin problems and have to take medication and blood test regularly ($$$). I also see a medical doctor every three months and am perscribed medicine once a month that I have to take ($$$). I fully support myself and live alone and have to pay full price for all my medical expenses.





My job also has me on a K1 tax form (whatever that is) and I was told by someone who looked at my taxes that I couldn't not write anything off, and I also pay more taxes because I'm on a K1. I filed an extension and still do not have any extra money to pay the IRS (I'm really getting scared). I am also trying to find time to talk to a school counselor because I want to go back to school so I can get out of this situation. I have credit card debt because I can't afford to live, feed myself, pay rent, car notes, car insurance, medical expenses, perscriptions, etc... I am in over my head. Someone please give me some good advice. I really need help, I don't know what to do!!!Hi...... I need some life advice please!?
I hope you read down this far since all the other replies you got seem to be spammers. First step, BREATH. A lot of people just starting their careers are in the same place, if not worse. Debt, budgeting, managing your life on your own is daunting and hard! Advice from someone who's been there. It takes time to work through all the rings but it will save you stress and fretting in the long run.





Second step, if you haven't done this already write down all your bills and expenses every month. Then look at where else you spend money, dining out, entertainment...then see where you can scale back (i.e. smaller cell phone plan, fewer meals out etc.). Car insurance, check to see how high of a deductible you have. If it's low, say like 250.00, call your insurance and see if you can get a higher deductible and then DRIVE SAFE. If you have a 500-1000 deductible it will signifigantly reduce your rates. Other bills, reduce your cable service, get local only, borrow movies from your local library, use their internet...cook at home etc.





Next, dependant on your income you may be eligible for Medicaid. If you don't want to go that route, seriously look into health care plans offered by your local or regional hospital. It may be 150-250 a month but look at what you are paying now for your medical expenses monthly and how much a health care plan would cover. They have people at hosptial plans that can walk you through that. Sign up for an HSA. This takes money from your paycheck pre-tax towards medical expenses. Read about it. Medications, doctors visits, co-pays, asprin, bandaids...it's a good thing. You elect how much you want deducted weekly, monthly. Etc. This may be a later step once you get your finances under control.





Credit card debt. If it's really bad, like you are 20K in debt, putting your rent on your credit card etc. Think about moving home or getting a roommate if possible. Then go to the http://www.nfcc.org/ this is a foundation that may get you pointed in the right direction on how to manage debt and those creditors. One would hope reputable counselers are on their site and not companies trying to make $$$ off your debt.





IRS, talk to their counselors before it gets worse.





School...if you can't afford to live now, going back to school, aquiring more debt and having a reduced or eliminated income...may not be the best idea. Unless you can get your debt under control, find a better living situation (more affordable) and steady part time work, then you can think about school.





If you go to church and are into that, it may be a good time to pray for peace in your heart. This is a stressful situation but you'll only be stronger in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment