Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Needing career/life advice...badly...?

ok....so its 2AM and I've been studying for the past 7 hours...i step out for some air and it hits me...WHY AM I DOING THIS?





I've been on this Political Science shtick for about 2 years now, but I'm having second thoughts about it. I love politics and want to participate in it most actively, but the material is boring me to tears at times. Read, read, read....thats all I do and it never seems to pay off. I'm struggling in my classes because they are just boring.





I've changed major from computer science to history to english and now its political science, something I thought would really interest me, but now I'm regretting it......this semester will be my 8th and I still have another year to go





My question boils done to this basically....how, if ever, did you come to realize what it was that you wanted to do with your life? I want to be happy, or at least mildly content, with my career...any wisdom on how you figured out what made you content?





I long for an ';aha'; moment....Needing career/life advice...badly...?
Doesn't that blow? At least you are realizing this while you are still in school! I had my moment when I graduated and did THREE YEARS of various interning at law firms/for judges. I woke up and said No way to a career in law. It was hard to deal with w/o feeling like I had wasted a ton of time but the important thing to remember is that finding out what you do NOT want to do is just as valuable as finding out what you do want to do. So waht now?





Take your butt to the career placement center - or wherever they offer a career assessment test at your school. If you cannot find a place, go online and search at about.com for a place that offers these - there are tons of them. many will charge a fee for a full report but many will give you a summary for free. The questions are bland and designed to help you narrow down your direction. Use the results as a guide, not gospel. research what sounds like a fit and pursue that.





Good luckNeeding career/life advice...badly...?
I feel you man, I've got a few classes now that I'd rather stab myself in the leg than go to. I'm pre-med, so I'm sure I've got a few of these classes coming to me. I don't know of anything that would give you an a-ha moment, but when I get frustrated with some of these classes I think about where I'll be when I finally get that M.D. Sometimes I watch like, knee replacements and bone grafting surgeries online, it gets me back on track. What made you change your major?





I could use someone to drag me back on track, if you want to try and help each other feel free to hit me up :)
I knew what I wanted to do back in high school. My art teacher was always asking me to help other students because I was helpful no matter what. I was always showing students how to draw and willing to listen and learn new ways of teaching students.


I continued to show a great deal of effort in my art classes and was even willing to suffer through Eurocentric art classes that didn't reflect other countries with art collections and histories.


My aha moment came when I was doing research and introduced African art into my Body in the Nonwestern art class. My teacher was actually impressed with my argument against calling other cultures primitive and child like. It was being able to influence and change somebody's thoughts with out using harsh language , but meaningful substance to get them change their thoughts on art.


I want to some day teach in a college or a community college...while African art is receiving more weight in modern times...I would like to still be able to teach foundational art to aspiring artists and help them see more than just Euro-centric texts for inspiration.


Art is not work for me..its fun and getting paid to teach it is like heaven for me. ..Plus getting paid double the rate of a district teacher is awesome too!





BTW..sometimes it ain't just the classes that determine our interest..sometimes its ourselves and the type of compatible teacher too...I was turned off by teachers that bragged that they had been to see the sistine chapel..that is about as appealing as watching paint dry...and so over done.. none of my professors could tell me they seen ancient Asian art in person..or ever traveled beyond Europe..now that's sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment