Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I need some serious life advice!?

OK... so here goes.





I am kinda torn between decisions in life at the moment, I am very hopeful that an objective view (you guys) can give me some help.





This is my situation:





I am 21 Years old and I am a Junior Executive for a medium sized company, I make appx. $60,000 a year and I am very well respected by a few high up multi-multi millionaires.


I also own an I/T Company that basically supports the family.


As far as education goes... I graduated when I was 15 with a 4.0 W/Honors, and really wanted to go to University for Physics (it has been my dream ever since I was a young child), but my family would not let me (as I had to work in the family business to help keep it afloat) and my parents/family would not help me pay for school.


Now I am in a position where both of my parents are unemployed (with three younger kids in the house), my grandparents are in bankruptcy, and my other siblings are either to stingy or to poor to help...


Don't get me wrong, I am so glad to have a good job, but I pretty much work 13-14hrs a day thus I am overworked... and feeling it!





As an example of my position, I just spent $500 buying my parents insulin/meds (oh yes, they are both diabetic) and $600 on a car/insurance payment for the families transportation ...





So, I really don't know what to do.


If I go to school, I risk losing a very good job, a business and hurting my family...





Am I to far down the road to break out of this shell and follow my dreams?








Thanks for listening everyone... I have tried to talk to friends and family, but they all have a hand in the money pot.... so not very objective.





I would love to even go part time... but I work constantly to support the family!





Any advice would be greatly appreciated!I need some serious life advice!?
You sound smart,successful financially,and generous.The first thing I think you should do is thank God for your blessings.Now,God wants you to take good care of yourself both physically and mentally.Whatever you do ,don't quit your job.Good paying jobs are not that easy to come by.Start paying yourself before you spend anything.This would also include ';tithes';,if any.Call the new account your ';self betterment account';or what ever.Save your money.Start thinking about getting your own condo and moving out on your own.Think of other ways to support people other than financially.I need some serious life advice!?
If you do not follow your dreams and do what it is that you want to do for your future, then you will regret not going on and doing what you have to do for yourself. You will end up feeling bad toward your family as you will harbor resentment toward your family . You have mixed feelings about helping your family out, and I understand that. However there are many health agencies and Medicare that can help your family out. You've gone above and beyond to help out, and now it is their responsibility to fend for themselves. As long as you are doing it for them, they will never help themselves. It's kinda a love hate relationship. Are you living at home or do you have your own place? If you are living at home, then it is expected to do what you can for your family. You are old enough to do what you need to do for yourself. Your family will do just fine. They will find a way to fend for themselves. Good luck! Go for it! Even if you have to move to a different area. You are a kind person to have done this for your family, but your kindness is enabling them to let you take care of them.
It's awsome you are willing to help your family and be there for them but you have to remember this is your life not theres and you have to do what you need to do in order for you to be happy. You cant always make other people happy its just not going to happen your only one person after all. i say go for your dreams and do whats going to make you happy in the long run. You could always look into online courses and still keep your current job. good luck
go online school or work less hours, hire a assistance, so you can have time do something else like attend school .
Look I am telling you this from experience. You have to follow your dreams. I know that it is very hard to say no to family but that is what you will have to do. Try looking into getting your parents on some medical aid program. The best thing I can tell you is I am going on 39 and I tried to do the same thing you did, I regret it everyday for not following my own dreams. At 21 you do not need that responsibility.
tough spot man..... got to say, it's ultimately up to u, because it's your life to live.





so weigh the opportunity cost (i'm trying to be as smart as you now)





Pursuing your Physics degree


= poorer family connections


= Happier self





Continue working at the company


= richer family connections


= Unhappier self





So what's more in terms of happiness? richer family connects or happier self? That will be for you to decide because of your values.











But if it were up to me, I'd go for the Physics Degree since u said it was ur dream. And the fact that you're asking here means you're unhappy with the current situation. I'm sure your family can survive without your help. There are plenty of organizations and welfare programs out there. Plus, you could always go to the University and work part time as... whatever you find, and send a little of it home. I'm sure htey would understand. Even if htey don't, be prepared and know that they understand deep down.
You can still stay at work FT, sounds like a good Company maybe the tuition reimbursement?? Let them know you want to go back to school a lot of Co. support employees going back to school and work w/them and their schedules.


Go to school PT at night, may take you longer but


1. ur young even if it takes u 4more years its nothing in comparison to ur age


2. you can still support the fam
well that is tuff but i think that one has to do what makes them happy


i mean your family sound very mean cuz they want you to keep the job so you can keep helping them i mena dnt get me wrong one has the responsibilty to help their parents out also when one grows up but wow theyd rather see you unhappy and almost working ur self to death for their comfort i say you should just do it i mena it is your life and you could still help out and find other help for them like the meds i mena i know there is help out there just look for it your happines should alwasy be first
Ask your boss if you can work less hours so that you can support your mom and dad. He/she will understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment