Tuesday, November 22, 2011

I need some good life advice?

So, my question has several parts please bear with me.





I have a B.A. in history and after college went off to work for an insurance company. I had wanted to be a teacher but low pay and job insecurity in California made me go the insurance route.





Now I want to move into a new profession - physical therapy. The problem: I never took science classes so now I have to do a bunch of prerequisites that are hard. I did Bio and it was easy, but all these programs require physics and therefore calculus. I took college algebra like 9 yrs ago.





My algebra base is weak hence I can't take calculus. ANd in order to take calculus I'd need to take college algebra, trig, precalculus, THEN calculus. This all requires lots of time which I don't have. I have a full time job, kid, wife, and can only take one class per semester if its science based.





At this rate it would take me 3 years just to get to physics. Should I just re take the classes and take the long route, seems like starting over?





Also, I considered going back to grad school for history to teach like in tended, but still low pay, adjunct status, no benefits, no tenure, this all worries me and may not be worth it. I dodged this before because there were simply too many history phd and not enough full time positions.





I'm so frustrated and confused. I seriously don't know what to do. I'm 30 yrs old and need to make a decision now.





Your thoughtful advice is so appreciated!I need some good life advice?
So you are 30 now. And you will work another 30-35 years. 4 or 5 years of preparation for a new profession is still short enough to make a worthwhile career change. Talk to the people where you will take the PT training, I am sure they can tell you a lot more of what you need than I, or any other person with a little free time in front of a computer can.I need some good life advice?
Why do you have to take trig and pre-calc? I'm a finance major which is heavy math, but I only had to take college algebra, statistics and then calculus. Why the extra two classes?





And Calculus really isn't hard. Don't be intimidated by it. It's mainly derivatives which are really really easy once you get the hang of them.
Never take life to serious you'll never make it out alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment